Lil Wayne may be retiring from the rap world, with a cryptic Twitter message leading fans to believe that the New Orleans rapper is giving up the music industry for good.
The rapper has been known for some flirtations with retirement in the past few years, but the latest declaration has both fans and fellow rappers worried for Lil Wayne’s health and well-being. It came via a Twitter message posted early on Saturday morning in which Lil Wayne said he was exhausted.
“I AM NOW DEFENSELESS AND mentally DEFEATED & I leave gracefully and thankful I luh my fanz but I’m dun,” he wrote on Twitter, adding, “ain’t lookin for sympathy, just serenity.”
— E! News (@enews) September 3, 2016
Lil Wayne had hinted at retirement before, with a long-running and bitter dispute with Birdman of Cash Money Records.
The initial tweet brought an outpouring of support from fans and other rappers, XXL reported. Chance The Rapper wrote words of encouragement and Missy Elliott said she would be praying for the rapper, the report noted.
Wayne put out so much music bruh 20+ years pic.twitter.com/Kz8lrA9aqX
— Skipper (@HBKSkipper) September 3, 2016
There was even a specific offer for some help with his contract woes, XXL added.
One of the most interesting responses came from Rick Ross. Someone on Twitter hit him and asked if he could buy Wayne’s contract out from Baby to make the Young Money rapper a part of MMG. Rozay seemed interested, responding, “Get Birdman on the phone.”
Lil Wayne later appeared to respond to his well-wishers, writing, “I’m good y’all don’t trip.” But he did not clarify if he was addressing the retirement rumors or simply the concerns about his health.
Lil Wayne has been suffering from some health issues in the past few months. As E! News noted, the 33-year-old suffered two seizures while on a private plane, forcing an emergency landing. The incident was not said to be serious, but the rapper was placed under the care of a doctor.
“Under the guidance of his own doctors, he is now in stable condition and good spirits,” a rep for the rapper told E! News. “He thanks his fans for their everlasting support, prayers and well wishes.”
While it is unclear what prompted his apparent retirement announcement, Lil Wayne was caught up in drama of a different kind on Friday night. Police were called to his Miami Beach home after a report of a shooting, though officers said it was just a hoax, Local 10 News reported.
This is not the first time that Lil Wayne has been the target of a fake police report. Back in March 2015, someone placed a call to Miami Beach police claiming that four people had been shot there. The phone call was rather explicit, CBS News reported.
“I just shot four people, killing whoever else I see… I don’t give a (expletive) if you’re a cop or not. I’m shooting to kill everyone and everything, you (expletive).”
Police later clarified that the report of a shooting and the phone call were just a hoax.
If Lil Wayne is really retiring, then there will be some disappointed fans on Saturday night. He is scheduled to take the stage with 2 Chainz at the Made in America music festival in Philadelphia.
And there is supposed to be more new music on the way from Lil Wane as well. Back in May, he announced at a concert in Phoenix that he was back in the booth to put together a pair of new albums.
“Before I go any further I want y’all to know I got two new albums coming y’all way,” he announced to the cheering crowd (via XXL).
Lil Wayne has not spoken about the retirement rumors since first posting the tweet on Saturday morning.[Photo by Rich Fury/Invision/AP Images] The Inquisitr News