A teenage high school student in South Carolina died after ingesting too much caffeine over a short period of time, leading to a caffeine overdose. Us News reports that the 16-year-old’s heart was healthy prior to drinking several caffeinated beverages, which led to heart related problems and death. How much caffeine is too much for teens?
Gary Watts, a coroner from Richland County, revealed that the South Carolina teen did not have a pre-existing heart issue prior to death. The high school student, Davis Cripe, collapsed while attending class last month. NBC News reports that Cripe consumed a latte, a large Mountain Dew, and an unnamed energy drink over the course of two hours. The jolt of caffeine caused his heart to go out of rhythm, which resulted in death.